Pages

Maximum Ride; The Angel Experiment

I picked this up at the library because I needed something to read and I've heard good things about this serires. Little did I know what I was getting into. If you get this, get the next eight. I got the first three today, and made the mistake of only taking one with me to piano. This book is amazing!!!


14 year old Maximum Ride is not your normal teenager. Then again, she's not that different. She has likes and dislikes, and a sassy, endearing attitude. She's just been genetically modified so that she can see things far away, is far stronger and has wings.





Violence
There's a lot of slapstick violence; they are being chased by Erasers (lame name, totally freaky) who are essentially werewolves. When Max goes to help a girl being bullied, she unintentionally breaks bones because she underestimated the toughness of the human bullies. Someone snaps an Eraser's neck in close contact; as in it's the only neck snapping described in detail.

Language
Middle school stuff, it mentions people swearing, never the actual words
            "Holy [insert the worst swear words you can think of here]" said Fang.
            &
            "Those sons of b - I mean the jerks who..."
are the most graphic uses of language. Dipstick and crap get a few uses. It should be noted that these are your typical middle schoolers when it comes to language and sass. I enjoyed it, my mother would hate it, lol.

Sexual Themes
None. I think Max may kiss Fang in this one, almost positive.

Problematic Spiritual Content
I didn't really feel like there was any, there is a scene where they go to hide in a chapel, Max mentions that she doesn't really know much about God, and she questions why any God would allow the horrible testing they've endured, but all the kids pray. It's understandable, considering that they've been in captivity that they don't know much about God. I didn't feel like there was any voodoo or anything.


Wow. After reading The Angel Experiment, that's all I can say. I loved it, and look forward to the others. It was an amazing read. James Patterson is a mainstream Ted Dekker. My tastes usually run more toward plain fantasy, but this was amazing! I highly recommend it! I rate it PG for violence and middle school language. It should be noted that the queasy should not read, the scene where Ari gets his neck snapped is a little intense. Not if you just read it, but if you allow your imagination to fill in the gaps, it can be a little rough. I ammend my rating to PG-10. This should be appropriate for 10 and over. I found this in the YA section of our library, and I was a little hesitant untill I saw the following notation in one of the books
"Staying true to the spirit of classic novels, this book is appropriate for ages 10 to 110. The content of this book has been carefully considered" or something like that. I'll come and redo the quote when I get home.
Adios! Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for looking at my blog!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE to get comments! Even if they don't exactly pertain to anything in the post...So, feel free to comment!